Appeal to the Senses is effective in real estate, There are many ways to create a more exciting and saleable interior, at surprisingly little cost. We will briefly discuss the sensory selling tools that can have an enormous impact and then provide you with suggestions on how to improve each room.
It is proven that people react more favorably to property shown under bright light than dark. The following steps should help you keep your room as bright as possible.
- Keep windows clean.
- Use adequate wattage in light bulbs.
- Consider replacing old fluorescent lamps and other fixtures which darken with use.
- Use mirrors to magnify the feeling of light and space.
- Decorate with track lights to create a high-tech look.
- Use light wall colors.
- Open drapes and blinds and turn on lights before showing the house for your real estate buyers.
A fundamental rule when selling your house is to keep colors neutral and light. The following are specific suggestions:
- White, beige and gray are the most popular exterior colors.
- Shades of white, off-white and very light pastels are the safest choices for the interior.
- Avoid highly patterned wallpaper whenever possible.
- Try to limit bright colors to accents like fresh flowers, towels, area rugs, and shower curtains.
The sounds of peace are some of the best sounds to have when you are showing your home to a prospective buyer. But there are other sound considerations of which you should be aware.
- Avoid barking dogs and noisy children if possible.
- Also avoid sounds of work like vacuums, dishwashers, and lawnmowers.
- Make sure there are no sounds of mechanical problems like banging pipes or faulty appliances.
- Light classical or instrumental music can be effective in creating a pleasing atmosphere.
Smell has more impact than you might expect. It can work for or against you.
- The smell of newness is positive. This scent can be achieved by applying a fresh coat of polyurethane to natural wood or latex paint to walls.
- The smell of cleanliness is important to the selling environment of your house.
- Beyond actually cleaning lemon oil or lemon wax can create a lasting scent of freshness. Fresh flowers can be effective.
- For a real heartwarming touch, place a dish of vanilla in a warm oven to create the aroma of fresh baked cookies or bread.
- Sweeten the refrigerator with a box of baking soda.
- Smells to avoid include strong pet odors, tobacco, cooking and oil or gas.
Personalizing your home
When considering a home to purchase, the real estate buyer often visualizes what it would be like living there. If the home is dominated by strong personal statements, buyers are less likely to feel comfortable, and therefore less able to visualize the property as their own.
- Personal statements are reflected in many areas:
- Unusual wall colors or heavily patterned wallpaper.
- Heavy odors from pets, tobacco or cooking
- Sounds of loud music or television
- Noisy children or barking dogs.
- Strong political or religious statements.
- Unusual art or furnishings.